Sunday, March 31, 2024

Hindsight Bias

Someone asked me in an interview, a perplexing question,
If you were to travel 10 yrs in future, and on all steps you won,
What's the future self you are living, how at a party you'll introduce,
I could only think of as a poet- someone who'll daily produce.
 
Then they asked me to think, after 10 yrs a poet I'm not,
I belong to the dead poets society, have been left to rot, 
They invited me to think, why as a poet I never took off,
And list reasons why I failed, why on my poems people scoff.
 
I laboriously reasoned, why as a poet I couldn't be renowned,
Maybe I didn't write for the galleries, maybe the gatekeepers frowned,  
Maybe the security of a job, kept me amateur at this craft,
Maybe I realized there is no money, maybe I was not that daft.
 
When I look back in hindsight, I know why I'm no poet still,
I may find a scapegoat, but it wasn't about how to pay the bill.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 

No comments: