Saturday, March 9, 2024

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star

 I

With the Sun's angry radiance tormenting my heart,
        And I pining for the moment when will shine my star-
I died every day amidst hope and fear
that come night and you'll be there -but almost that far!

I watched whole night your youthful plays
        With an intent gaze so that your light may not fade
Knowing that despite light years you were close to my heart
that your twinkling from a distance was just a big facade.

So I proudly, confidently, quite blatantly asked
        'That you forget who you are and come within my reach'
To which you graciously replied that you can die for me
But to steer from your chartered path would be a cosmic breach.

II

I injured, baffled, bewildered and lost
        for once to you did willingly lie
That if you need your heavens to charm the earth
I can use my earth to forget the sky!

And die you must 'cause I can't bear the pain
        of acknowledging the distance between you and me
And am constantly burdened by your presence above me
so I invoke the promise you made to me---

--"If ever you ceased to get light from my eyes
        You won't get dwarfed or dimmed in the night
But to show that your love for me was true
explode like a Nova with all  your might!"


III              

For a fortnight I steadfastly adhered to my pledge
Burying myself in earth- never glancing towards the sky
So imagine my horror when after this momentous ordeal
I looked up to find you smiling -in the torturous sky!

The agony of realizing that to me you did lie-
That even for that moment our Love was not true-
you'll shine for someone else- draw light from elsewhere-
you wont care a bit if that light makes me blue;

Overshadowed the relief -of seeing that you are not dead-
my fortnight is over- you are still shining and new-
you'll hear my pleas now- accept my worship from afar;
But my love had been thwarted  - so hatred grew.

IV

I realize now - you are not a poet like me-
Who conveys instantly, what's in his heart-
your celestial divinity prevents me from knowing
Whether you are intact & strong.. or broken and in part.

Even though on that night something might have snapped
And you might have been consumed in my fiery hate
The light you sent out to shine in this world
Will burn for years and conceal your fate.

So I'll live every night in pain and doubt
not knowing whether I've killed you- and if so at what cost,
With the moon's tender radiance piercing my soul
And I praying for eternity when will be exorcised my ghost.

No comments: