Saturday, March 9, 2024

Tell Simmi That I loved Her

 Tell Monu that I'm sorry-
             -that I couldn't keep my promise-
Gift him a bat when he grows up
             and don't tell him about my drudgery.
Tell him his grandpa was a fine man
             who fought till his dying day
Don't let him read my poems
            and say whatever you think I should say
and tell Simmi that I loved her.

Tell Mr. Mukherjee not to get worried--
--that treasure-hunt clue has no meaning--
He always used to crack so fast,
I thought I'd pull a fast one too.
Tell him to forget that quarter-
-didn't I promise that I'll never return.
Tell him that I've won this race too
he's still waiting for his turn
and tell Simmi that I loved her.

Tell my sons not to fight over property
I've already spent most of it;
of the remaining I've divided equally;
amongst grandchildren--I've made a will;
Of my debts let them claim responsibility-
or let the Government take care of it
and tell them about the prime of my life
How I never lacked any means
Tell them about my reckless donations
and tell them that's the way to live-
----and this is the way to die
and tell Simmi that I'll keep loving her.

Tell the world that I died a Poet's death,
although I couldn't live one
Tell them I loved this poverty and pain
in my next life beautiful poems will come.
Tell them I voted for the 'fascist' party
and haven't ever felt guilty about that;
Tell them I wept on the day of the revolution-
tell them this is not the first time I would die
and tell Simmi I loved her throughout.

Tell them I wanted to be a diplomat
that I wished for the Govt. of the World
Tell Subhash that he's the best friend I've got
he took the movement from where I left
--and wait--tell my boss from that stupid company-
that he shouldn't have said what he said.
Tell him that I don't even remember his name-
- -Tell him no one remembers his name--
while I had worked out miracles when I was his age.
Tell him that members of his staff
still write to me and send flowers and gifts
Tell him that I was sorry
but that he was a bigger asshole
and tell Simmi that she must have loved me too.

Tell Simmi I loved her on her wedding day,
and I never hated Sam;
Tell her I loved the man she loved,
Tell her Sam was my best friend.
Tell her I loved till her wedding day
and I really tried to forget
Tell her I deluded myself well and good
and never cared again;
But today I miss her much.

Tell Simmi I wished she was by my bedside
Tell her I had something to say.
Tell her I wasn't as weak as she thought
and always had the courage to propose again.
Tell her I was strong --
---at least on my deathbed-
-and before death brought me peace and freedom---
I did manage to mumble these words,
that I love her no more.

No comments: