Monday, January 15, 2024

Driven And Defeated

Dejected on multiple fronts, defeated on all but one,
I was sure that I had lost the battles, but the war I had won. 
I was still the same old person, who aimed to be a good human being,
But now that I have set my sights high, it seems from myself I am fleeing. 

Once it wasn't important to win, but to play fair was paramount, 
Now that I have upped the ante, its only success that will count. 
A march closer to the noble aim, absolves me of all my sin, 
I no longer claim 'goodness', I can hide behind a sheepish grin.  

Ends never justify the means, I know as the gospel of truth,
By degrading myself, not others, I can still my soul soothe. 
If the end is noble enough, I'll get defeated a billion times,
Losing myself a bit each time, or losing whole- I don't give dimes. 

Earlier it was about who I am, and remaining true to myself,
The greater cause liberated me, making me lose in the goal itself. 


No comments: