Saturday, December 17, 2022

The Background Hum

Winning at times, losing at some,
I'm engrossed in life, despite the background hum.
It lingers and is jarring, a note searching for its tune,
Thoughts coming out of blue, like chills down the spine in June. 

Yet alive and vibrant, the search itself raises hopes,
Outwardly I'm directional - I've learnt all the ropes.
I can hide behind my success, the emptiness held within, 
By taking risks beyond my measures, I committed the holy sin.

Did we not lose ourselves, thrown from job to job,
Rising up the ladder each time, propelled by fate's plot.
In time we will be filthy rich, maybe own a unicorn,
Yet to have lost ourselves on the way, will stick like a thorn.

I can push it under the rug, use noise cancelling headphones,
But the hum gets louder, the more you curb, till it gets into your bones.
 
 

No comments: