Today I am starting an ambitious project; to translate Madhushala in English for the benefit of those whose first language is not Hindi. You can read the original poem in Hindi here.
Madhushala has always fascinated me and this is my way of paying homage to Late Shri Harivansh Rai Bachchan.
What follows are the first 10 quatrains. Do let me know how they work and if you'll like me to translate more?
Madhushala
Tender feelings processed, the molasses I convert into wine,
The first offering is reserved for you, the world can then feast fine,
I’ll make you drink the sweetness, from my own cup and spoon,
It welcomes first and foremost you, my darling, my saloon. [1]
I’ll churn the world upside down, to quench your thirst, my love,
Dance on one foot to woo your eyes, in your hand the glass shove,
I’ve showered you with life’s sweetness, from earth till the moon,
Today I’ll empty the barrels on you, of the world’s saloon. [2]
Darling, you’re but my wine, I am your pining glass,
You fill yourself in me, and claim, to be the drinking class,
I let you spill and slip and spill, you get intoxicated and swoon,
Today we are entangled such, we are each other’s saloon [3]
From the grapevine of sensitivity, I’ve plucked imagination’s wine,
Like the courtier, I pour into the poem’s cup; I am the poet divine.
Even if millions drink from this fountain, it’ll never get dry so soon,
All you readers are my drunkard lot, and the book is my saloon [4].
Daily I brew from tender feelings, the wine that is but sweet,
I fill my thirsty inner cup, and let the wine my emptiness meet,
Lifting with hands of imagination, I drink myself and croon,
I am but in myself bartender, the drunkard and saloon. [5]
The drunkard ventures forth from home, in the search of a bar,
Which way to go the fool is perplexed, the distance looks far.
There are many paths to take you there, but I tell this to any buffoon,
Just stick to one path and it will take, you to the destination saloon. [6]
Much of the life is alas spent, in traveling far and wide,
It’s still further down, the traveler says, the real distance they hide.
I don’t have strength to carry on, nor want to turn back too soon,
Leaving me transfixed and flabbergasted, makes fun from far the saloon. [7]
Just keep the chant on your lips, about wine and intoxicating rum,
Imagine in your hands the tempting cup, in which the wine will come.
Meditate in your mind on the beautiful nymph, who’ll pour to you soon,
Keep trotting my dear fellow traveler, you’ll find distance bridged to the saloon. [8]
When the desire for the wine itself, becomes the drunkenness,
When your imagination gives form, to the bartender who will caress,
When the pining of the lips, is by itself the cup and spoon,
Then let the nymph and wine and cup be damned, you’ve got your saloon [9]
Listen intently, for in rhythmic beats, the wine falls in the cup,
Listen and you’ll make out, the bartender walking and trotting her stuff.
It’s not too far now, just take four steps and you’ll reach there soon,
Just listening, people are getting excited, and bursting at seams is my saloon [10]
No comments:
Post a Comment